New Recipes for a New Year

Monday, September 27, 2010

Shaker Lemon Pie from Linnie Sorrell

Hancock Shaker Farm, Massachusetts
My grandmother, Linnie Sorrell, lived about 7 miles from the Shaker community at Pleasant Hill, Kentucky.  She shared this recipe with me when I was in high school.

Ingredients

2 large lemons
4 eggs, well beaten
2 cups sugar

Preparation

Slice lemons as thin as paper, rind and all. Remove seeds. Combine with sugar; mix well.  Let stand 2 hours or longer, preferably blending occasionally.  Add beaten eggs to lemon mixture; mix well. Turn into nine inch pie shell, arranging lemon slices evenly.  Cover with top crust.  Cut several slits near center.  Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.  Reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake for about 20 minutes or until knife inserted near edge of pie comes out clean.  Cool before serving.

Notes on Pie Crust

My grandmother gave me a wonderful pie crust recipe, which I will share, but to be absolutely truthful, I have found that in the refrigerated section of the grocery store, Pillsbury has pie crusts in a package. This is NOT the frozen variety but the two crust package that you simply roll out into the pie pan.  It is really quite good and you can make a pie in less than 1/2 hour and then bake!

Serves 6-8

Preparation time:  30 minutes to prepare and 35 minutes to bake

Notes from Liz


The Shaker Lemon Pie is a "custard-like" lemon pie with high marks from my guests.