New Recipes for a New Year

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Lucy Berry's Corn Pudding

Liesel, Adam, Denis, and Matthew Enjoy T-Day Corn Pudding
Ingredients

6 ears fresh corn
1 scant cup sugar
3 TBS Corn starch
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 stick of butter (sliced thin)
3 whole eggs
milk (see Preparation)

Preparation

Make three cuttings of corn from the cob, then scrape the cob to get the milky substance. (frozen or canned corn will not get the same taste or consistency) Mix sugar and corn starch, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl.  Add corn and mix thoroughly.  Beat eggs, slightly, and add to the mixture. Put mixture into a baking dish.  Cover mixture with milk.  Stir the milk into mixture until it covers the mixture.  Put thin slices of butter into the mixture and mix through.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.  After cooking pudding for about 30 minutes, stir well, so the cornstarch will not won't settle to the bottom.  You will know when the pudding is done when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Serves 10

Notes from Liz


My Granny gave me this recipe in 1969.  She made this for every Thanksgiving and Christmas.  She always made it from memory.  When I asked her to write down the recipe, she made it and measured as she prepared the dish.  On the recipe card she gave me, she wrote:  Good Luck Liz.  I hope it will turn out OK.  I have been making this recipe for 41 years...every Thanksgiving...and dinners in between.  It is the favorite memorable dish for Thanksgiving.  It used to be difficult to find corn on the cob in November, now all the grocery stores have fresh corn in the produce section for Thanksgiving.  I am sure that Lucy Berry would be amazed that her recipe survived at least two generations!  I spent many years watching her cook from memory.  I asked her to write down, record, recipes that I could not replicate from merely watching her cook.  I am happy to share her recipes with you.